Saturday, October 8, 2011

Fall in the Adirondacks

As the seasons change so do our fishing opportunities and tactics.  Fishing streamers slow and deep and weighted nymphs have produced the most action over the past couple of weeks.   I have enticed a few good trout on big dries, blue winged olives, and have witnessed trout selectively feeding on tiny size #22-#26 rusty spinners.  We have had more than our fair share of rainy weather and off-colored water this fall.  My most productive nymph has been a rubber legged prince tied with a silver bead head.  Fall is not the season for epic hatches or consistent dry fly action, but for many folks it's the greatest time to be on the water.  The crisp days, dramatic fall colors, hungry fish, and the impending snow seem to add extra intensity to every outing.

 Rubber leg prince nymphs ready for action
Tom Conway caught this one on a rubber legged prince
another one on a rubber leg
Hopper

The Salmon are starting to show up in the Lake Champlain tributaries; I caught this nice fish on October 2nd using a grey matuka.



I am going to be offering special deals on flies via the Ruff Waters Fly Fishing Facebook page click on the like button to your right so you can take advantage.


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog!Thanks! I'm adding you to my blogroll so I can check back often!!

    ReplyDelete